Allendorf (aka Münchmühle)

 

Allendorf subcamp, also named Münchmühle camp after the nearby mill on the Münchbach, was located on the former Reichstrasse from Kirchhain to Neustadt, 2 kilometres (1.2 miles) southwest of Allendorf.

It was constructed in early 1940 and consisted of 26 barracks, accommodating civilian forced labour, prisoners of war and units of the Reich Labour Service (RAD). The camp served as a subcamp of Buchenwald from August 1944 until the end of March 1945, due to 1,000 female prisoners transferred there from Auschwitz, after which it was evacuated.

The management of the Allendorf (now Stadtallendorf) armaments factory requested prisoners to bolster declining numbers of civilian forced labour, POWs and criminals, in order to continue meeting arms orders. A discussion was held on 6th June 1944 between the commander of Buchenwald and the managing director of the Allendorfer Verwertchemie, Ringleb, during which it was decided that female prisoners should be assigned to earthmoving, laundry and tailor shop duties and on the assembly lines manufacturing shells and bombs. The working hours were set at two shifts of 12 hours each. Female supervisors would be recruited from the plant and an electric perimeter fence installed.

 

However, Ringleb decided he wanted male prisoners for manufacturing and unloading, with the fee paid to the SS at 3 or 5 Reichsmark per day per prisoner. The SS stipulated a daily rate of 4 RM per day per prisoner for unskilled labour.

According to one document, the Allendorf factory was unable to supply the number of female supervisors requested by the SS-Business Administration Main Office (WVHA), causing some friction with the SS. Furthermore, the Buchenwald commander, Pister, criticised the demand by the factory management for a contract, stating that, thus far, arrangements had been made with other firms without needing a contract. This lack of contracts meant that the arms industry was able to claim that prisoners had been ‘forced on them’ by the SS.

The factory’s 1944 annual report mentions that it was very satisfied with the standard of work by the prisoners:

“The experiences gained through the use of Jewesses since August last year are entirely satisfactory. The filling of the fifteen centimetre shells, weighing almost fifty kilograms, was accomplished with best results by Jewish female prisoners.”

 

Working conditions on the production lines were extremely hazardous. One female prisoner wrote:

“My face turned yellow from the poison, from inhaling it and we were extremely undernourished and weak.”

A postwar report states that the work consisted of filling bombs and 40-kilogram shells with explosives and that each prisoner had to process 1,000 of them per day. Some women, usually the youngest, were assigned to duties in the camp. Others worked on farms, where the food and working conditions were better. Those women who worked in the factory were impacted for the rest of their lives with health problems due to the handling of explosives.

 

The prisoners were guarded by 46 SS men and 47 female guards. There were two female doctors and eight orderlies. Most of the female prisoners described the unit commander, Hauptscharführer Adolf Wuttke, as behaving fairly humanely, but his deputy, Ernst Schulte, as being brutal.

The camp was evacuated on 27th March 1945 due to the advance of the Allies. The evacuation march headed east towards Ziegenhain and then changed direction, moving northeast towards Fritzlar. During the march, groups of prisoners and guards escaped. There do not seem to have been any murders of prisoners during this march and investigations were finally dismissed in November 1971.

Wutke was the only member of the subcamp staff convicted, sentenced to 4.5 years imprisonment for beating prisoners at Buchenwald.


 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Porombka (Solarhutte)

Rajsko (German name: Raisko)

Freudenthal