Brunn
The Brünn camp was located in the city of Brno (known in German as Brünn) in the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia. It was located in the SS and Police Technical Academy building in Brno and opened in October 1943 with an initial transport of 251 prisoners, mostly of Polish nationality. Roughly 250 prisoners were held there at its peak in October 1943, which dwindled to 36 prisoners by January 1945. Inmates were confined to tightly spaced metal cots inside locked classrooms with active sentry guards drawn from German police units. The commander was the only official assigned from Auschwitz directly. The building had originally been a seminary and was uncompleted, so the prisoners were employed on construction tasks to finish the building. They were also employed in the machine shop and smithy, digging foundations for buildings and unloading and sorting laboratory equipment. The subcamp was initially commanded by SS-Hauptscharführer Gerhard Palitzsch and subsequently by SS-Unt...